boatpile
  • Home
  • Resources
  • Frontend
  • Guide
  • Backend
Business

Rowing doctors bid to set world record for charity

by Linda February 24, 2025
written by Linda

A rowing team including several doctors from Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey will attempt to set a new world record from Monday.

The group of 12 will try to row 1,000,000 metres non-stop on a pair of rowing machines in less than 62 hours at London's Paddington Station.

They are also hoping to raise £169,000 for a Hampshire charity that provides exercise therapy for children.

The team is led by anaesthetist Gihan Ganesh, whose daughter received treatment for a rare tumour when she was a year old.

He said he took up rowing as the only brief exercise he had time for during her treatment.

He has set the target of £169,000, as it will be £1,000 for every day she was treated.

The money will be used to help the Momentum in Fitness charity provide exercise therapy at the Piam Brown children's cancer ward of Southampton General Hospital.

February 24, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
Global Trade

ICC prosecutor steps aside until sexual misconduct probe ends

by Ian February 23, 2025
written by Ian

The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) has temporarily stepped aside until a sexual misconduct probe against him is concluded.

Karim Khan will take leave until the end of the external investigation, which began late last year, and his deputy prosecutors will run the office in his absence, the ICC said in a statement.

Previous media reports cited a document outlining accusations against Mr Khan, understood to include unwanted sexual touching and "abuse".

Mr Khan has denied the allegations, which were reported to the court's governing body in October. His lawyers said he had no intention of stepping down.

  • ICC announces investigation into chief prosecutor
  • ICC prosecutor denies sexual misconduct allegations

Several organisations and ICC staff members had previously called for Mr Khan to step down during the investigation.

It is unknown when the external investigation – led by the UN Office of Internal Oversight Services – will come to an end.

An anonymous source told Reuters news agency that Mr Khan spoke to UN investigators last week for a final interview as part of the process.

Reuters reported that it had seen a letter Mr Khan sent to his staff confirming his temporary leave, and in which the prosecutor said his position had been kept under constant review.

"My decision is driven by deep and unwavering commitment to the credibility of our Office and the Court, and to safeguard the integrity of the process and fairness to all involved," he reportedly said in the letter.

In a written statement, Mr Khan's lawyers rejected all allegations of wrongdoing, saying he had taken leave because media attention on the matter affected his ability to properly focus on his job.

They added: "Our client remains the prosecutor, has not stepped down and has no intention of doing."

Shortly after the allegations came to light last year, Mr Khan asked the ICC's watchdog, the Independent Oversight Mechanism (IOM), to conduct an internal investigation into the claims.

The court's governing body later decided to pursue it externally to "ensure a fully independent, impartial and fair process," its president said.

The investigation comes during intense scrutiny of the ICC and Mr Khan after his request for arrest warrants linked to the Israel-Hamas war – including for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for alleged war crimes in Gaza.

Israel is not an ICC member and its government, along with Netanyahu, strongly rejected the accusations.

In February this year, US President Donald Trump imposed sanctions on ICC officials while Netanyahu visited Washington DC.

The ICC said the US sanctions have put the court itself at risk and called on its member states and global civil society to "stand united for justice and fundamental human rights".

February 23, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
Tech

Torbay Stagecoach fleet to become 100% electric

by Robert February 21, 2025
written by Robert

A new fleet of all-electric buses will be deployed in Torquay this winter, thanks to a funding boost from the Department for Transport (DfT), Torbay Council has said.

A cash injection of £361,000 from the DfT means more than £7.4m is available to purchase a fleet of 55 new all electric, zero-emission vehicles, the council said.

It said it would make Stagecoach's Torquay depot the company's first fully-electric depot in the South West.

Funding for the fleet comes from the DfT's Zero Emission Bus Regional Areas 2 scheme – created to help transport authorities and operators to make the transition to zero-emission fleets.

'An excellent result'

Torbay Council said over the course of the buses' lifespans, they would result in carbon dioxide savings equal to taking about 2,000 diesel cars off the road, as well as improving air quality in the area.

Peter Knight, managing director at Stagecoach South West, said this was "an important milestone" on the road to net zero.

Councillor Adam Billings, cabinet member for pride in place and parking, said the new fleet was "an excellent result" for the people of Torbay.

He said: "The new buses will be better to travel in and their lack of tailpipe emissions will contribute to improving air quality.

"This will particularly benefit our town centres as well as cyclists and pedestrians generally."

Billings said the fleet would provide an "improved public transport travel option", adding he was confident it would result in more people choosing to travel by bus.

February 21, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
Tech

'Construction firms won't let me work because I'm a girl'

by Addison February 21, 2025
written by Addison

A stonemasonry student said companies had told her she could not join the profession "because she's a girl".

Alice, who is 17, was one of the students who took part in a competition for apprentices at Moulton College in Northampton on Thursday.

Industry experts have said 19,750 extra construction workers are needed in the East of England by 2028 to meet government housebuilding targets.

However, some students, like Alice, said they still faced barriers which made it difficult to pursue a career in construction.

The SkillBuild competition, organised by the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB), tested apprentices and trainees in a variety of tasks, from furniture making to tiling.

Alice, from Weston Favell in Northamptonshire, inherited her interest in architecture from her grandfather and wanted to work on some of the UK's greatest stone buildings – cathedrals.

But she said her journey had not been easy.

"I've tried to contact some companies to get onto that kind of work, but it hasn't really worked out," she told the BBC.

"The main thing is that I'm a woman and a lot of companies have told me 'you can't do this because you're a girl – you're not strong enough, you won't be able to do the heavy labour'."

Kate Bradbrook/BBC
Maizie said people needed to realise the value of careers in construction

Another competitor, Maizie from Bury St Edmonds in Suffolk, wanted to encourage more women to join the industry.

The 17-year-old goes to college in Colchester and said: "In my class it's actually a pretty good mix, but in the industry as a whole, it's definitely a big imbalance.

"People need to realise the value of these industries, and we need to push more young people to go into it. It can be a bit inaccessible at the beginning, especially for young people, since working in these workshop environments can be quite dangerous."

Kate Bradbrook/BBC
Sean believes more apprenticeships are needed for young people

The first obstacle in the competition for Rugby man Sean, 18, was having to "scavenge" for the right tools to make a porch roof, having brought the wrong ones.

The bigger issue for him, generally, was the lack of opportunities for young people.

He said: "There's not enough apprenticeships – it took me two years to get here, and I feel like that's one of the biggest problems.

"The amount of houses they're trying to build; they definitely need more apprenticeships."

Kate Bradbrook/BBC
CITB's Robert Smith said the construction industry needed to make itself more attractive

A CITB report published this month said 19,750 new workers were needed in the region.

Robert Smith, from the CITB, said "we really need to make that attractive so that they know there are jobs for the future, secure opportunities and great career pathways".

The figures suggest there is a long way to go before there is a gender balance in the industry.

According to The Office for National Statistics, women comprise just 15.8% of the construction workforce and only 2% of workers onsite.

There is some hope, though, with the number of women as a proportion of the overall construction workforce increasing by 36.9% since 2012.

The government said construction would be one area to benefit from a "record-breaking £3bn apprenticeship budget".

Follow Northamptonshire news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.

February 21, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
Tech

Women scared to get pregnant due to overlooked disorder

by Jordan February 20, 2025
written by Jordan

If 29-year-old Marianne Barry doesn't take the contraceptive pill each day, she could have symptoms of severe anxiety or even suicidal thoughts.

Marianne has pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), a condition which affects as many as 8% of women and causes intense emotional and physical symptoms in the days leading up to menstruation – with an average wait time for a diagnosis of around 12 years.

Contraceptive medication remains the primary course of treatment for women living with PMDD, but for women who wish to become pregnant this poses a dilemma.

"I want to have a child, but I also want to be sane," said Marianne.

The Welsh government said it was "determined to improve the diagnosis, treatment and awareness of conditions affecting women", including PMDD.

February 20, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
Economy

Billionaire Isaacman takes big step toward leading Nasa

by Ryan February 19, 2025
written by Ryan

A 42 year-old entrepreneur who was the first non-professional astronaut to walk in space is on his way to becoming the head of Nasa.

Jared Isaacman won approval from a key Senate committee and now only needs to clear a vote of the full chamber to lead an agency that has set its sights on returning to the moon.

While he is expected to win that vote, the billionaire with ties Elon Musk has encountered scepticism. Members of both parties asked at his confirmation hearing about possible conflicts of interest, his desire to send astronauts to Mars, and budget cuts.

President Donald Trump has said Mr Isaacman's leadership will pave the way "for groundbreaking achievements" in science and technology.

February 19, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
Market

'Evidence of assault' in 22-year missing man case

by Michelle February 19, 2025
written by Michelle

New evidence has emerged to suggest a man who disappeared more than 20 years ago was assaulted on the night he was last seen.

Robert Scott Clive, from Stranraer, was captured on CCTV shortly after 23:00 BST on 10 October 2002, walking towards the Coronation Street area of North Shields.

Earlier this year, three people were arrested on suspicion of murder and bailed pending further inquiries, police said.

Mr Clive's family asked people with information to come forward, saying they were "desperate for answers to end the heartbreak of not knowing what has happened".

Mr Clive, known as Scott, was a 30-year-old labourer who had moved to Prudhoe Terrace in North Shields from south-west Scotland 10 months before he disappeared.

Police say they are "keeping an open mind" as to the exact circumstances surrounding his disappearance and continue to conduct a murder investigation, although no trace of Mr Scott has been found.

Detectives said: "New evidence has now come to light which suggests Scott was assaulted while on Coronation Street."

Northumbria Police
Robert Scott Clive's family have asked anyone with information to come forward

In a statement, Mr Clive's family said: "We just want to know what happened to Scott.

"You could hold the key to us finding out what happened to him and help bring some peace to our family."

In 2008, police said they thought Mr Scott had fallen in to the River Tyne, following "unconfirmed sightings" of a man matching his description near its banks.

However, in February this year officers searched an house on Coronation Street where it was known Mr Clive had visited on the evening he went missing.

They did this "with the support of the current occupant who moved in after 2002", police added.

Officers have appealed for anyone who saw an assault or any other sign of Mr Scott on or after 10 October 2002 to get in touch.

February 19, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
Market

Church report into inappropriate behaviour claims

by Emily February 17, 2025
written by Emily

Complaints about a "culture in which sexual boundaries seemed blurred", inappropriate language and excessive consumption of alcohol have been highlighted in a cathedral safeguarding review.

In February, the Church in Wales launched an investigation into a "very serious and urgent" safeguarding issue at Bangor Cathedral in Gwynedd, although details were not revealed.

The independent report, published on Saturday evening, also found a "lack of contracts for" paid roles or tenancy agreements and an absence of codes of conduct.

The Archbishop of Wales, Andrew John, who is also Bishop of Bangor, said the findings of the independent review had "identified some concerns which needed to be addressed".

A number of people "linked to the life of the cathedral" were invited to take part in the review by Thirtyone:eight, a group specialising in providing safeguarding advice in church settings.

But the report's authors have said the "audit did not include a fact-finding exercise where the strength of evidence was tested in relation to complaints made against specific individuals".

"Although generally people conducted themselves well, the reviewers were also informed of inappropriate behaviours such as inappropriate language, lack of boundaries around communication (outside of work hours and away from office premises), excessive consumption of alcohol etc," said the summary report.

February 17, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
  • 1
  • …
  • 35
  • 36
  • 37
  • 38
  • 39
  • …
  • 47

Recent Posts

  • TCT’s Legacy: 11 Years of Excellence in Additive Manufacturing Shows
  • A Custom Foundation: How a Prom Dress Corset Creates a Flawless Silhouette
  • Operational Efficiency Through Connected Fleet Systems
  • Is Resin 3D Printing the Best Quality?
  • What Problems Does CAR-T Cell Therapy Help Solve in Relapsed/Refractory Cancer?

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

About Me

About Me

Freelance Developer

My name is Brian, freelance developer based in London, UK. Welcome to my internet journal where I started my learning journey.

Keep in touch

Facebook Twitter Linkedin Youtube Github

Resources

  • TCT’s Legacy: 11 Years of Excellence in Additive Manufacturing Shows

    February 5, 2026
  • A Custom Foundation: How a Prom Dress Corset Creates a Flawless Silhouette

    February 5, 2026
  • Operational Efficiency Through Connected Fleet Systems

    February 4, 2026

Recent Posts

  • TCT’s Legacy: 11 Years of Excellence in Additive Manufacturing Shows

    February 5, 2026
  • A Custom Foundation: How a Prom Dress Corset Creates a Flawless Silhouette

    February 5, 2026
  • Operational Efficiency Through Connected Fleet Systems

    February 4, 2026
  • Is Resin 3D Printing the Best Quality?

    February 3, 2026
  • What Problems Does CAR-T Cell Therapy Help Solve in Relapsed/Refractory Cancer?

    January 29, 2026

Categories

  • 3D Sacnner (1)
  • Agriculture (1)
  • Business (95)
  • Car (1)
  • Coding (18)
    • Backend (6)
    • Frontend (6)
    • Guide (6)
  • Dress (1)
  • Economy (30)
  • Furniture (2)
  • Global Trade (33)
  • Healthcare (1)
  • Industry (103)
  • Innovation (32)
  • LED (1)
  • Manufacturer (3)
  • Market (22)
  • Medical (9)
  • Monitors (1)
  • News (23)
  • Online (1)
  • Product (28)
  • Resources (6)
  • Smart Lock (1)
  • Tech (61)
  • Technology (25)
  • Vegetables indoor (1)
  • 未分类 (1)

Backend

  • TCT’s Legacy: 11 Years of Excellence in Additive Manufacturing Shows

    February 5, 2026
  • A Custom Foundation: How a Prom Dress Corset Creates a Flawless Silhouette

    February 5, 2026
  • Operational Efficiency Through Connected Fleet Systems

    February 4, 2026
  • Is Resin 3D Printing the Best Quality?

    February 3, 2026

Frontend

  • TCT’s Legacy: 11 Years of Excellence in Additive Manufacturing Shows

    February 5, 2026
  • A Custom Foundation: How a Prom Dress Corset Creates a Flawless Silhouette

    February 5, 2026
  • Operational Efficiency Through Connected Fleet Systems

    February 4, 2026
  • Is Resin 3D Printing the Best Quality?

    February 3, 2026

Guide

  • Getting Started with Backend Development 101

    January 25, 2019
  • The Skills You Need to Be a Back-End Developer

    January 25, 2019
  • Modern Backend Developer in 2019

    January 25, 2019
  • Integrating with an API Backend

    January 25, 2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube
  • Email
  • Github
  • Stack-overflow

All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by boatpile.

boatpile
  • Home
  • Resources
  • Frontend
  • Guide
  • Backend